Originally, I was planning to make a list of my top ten favorite travel moments from Thailand, but I just couldn't narrow it down. So, here are my top twenty; little glimpses into the country that stole my heart. I fell in love with my host family, the sweet kids, the women I had the honor of working with, the other travelers I met. One of my favorite quotes says, "You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place." These words ring true for me, and it's a price I'll happily pay.
20. Visiting Krasang and experiencing the slower pace of village life. Everyone we met was so warm and welcoming, and the fresh fruit was delicious.
19. That time we crammed as many people as possible into one tuk tuk. #SafetyFirst
18. Almost getting trampled by an angry buffalo. The kids thought it was hilarious how scared we were!
17. Recreating old photos of the Grand Palace in Bangkok. Right after this photo was taken, we got caught in the rain. (Read all about it and see more photos here.)
16. Making friends with travelers from Malaysia, China and Spain in Phuket. We had a wild ride in this speedboat after we hit some choppy water and were all completely drenched!
15. Snorkeling for the first time. I loved it!
14. Playing in the dirt with these precious kids. My favorite part of each day.
13. Becoming friends with these sweet, funny, all-around wonderful missionaries from South Korea.
12. Singing songs from Frozen in the rain.
11. Watching the kids light up when Daphnide bought them their own bottle of sparkly nail polish.
10. Learning new dance moves in da club during outreach. (Sadly, I don’t have any pictures of this.)
9. Falling asleep in the open air under the stars and our pink mosquito net.
8....and waking up to this view.
7. Rocking this stylish accessory. Smog is not my friend.
6. Getting a hug from Yaya the baby elephant after feeding her a Kit-Kat.
5. Visiting Sketchbook Art Cafe, where we spent the morning in tree houses having dessert and coffee as we doodled to our hearts' content.
4. Feeling like we were going to sink on the boat we took to this island during a torrential downpour.
3. Wearing matching elephant dresses, a gift from this sweet girl's mom.
2. Holding her as she fell asleep in my arms. (Read our full story here.)
1. I know it's weird to say one of my favorite moments was a sad one, but I love this memory. We were driving away from our host family for the last time and cried for an hour straight in the van. I'm so thankful to have friends who understand my heartbreak and share my passion for this type of ministry.
I've noticed that when I travel, the highs are higher and the lows are lower. In Thailand, I walked into some dark places, experienced the most excruciating heartbreak I've ever felt, and struggled with fear and anxiety on a daily basis. But I also formed some of the truest friendships, felt my heart come alive, and experienced God's love like never before. I know I’m in love with a place when it’s so hard to leave it behind. Thailand, I’ll be back someday.
Hi! Welcome to my blog. Whether you stumbled upon this page through your friend’s friend’s Instagram or you’ve been following for a while, I’m glad you’re here. Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my life with you.
I write mostly about the places I visit and the people I meet. I love to write for the same reason I love to travel: because it teaches me a new way of seeing the world.
Other things I love: thrift shopping, sustainable fashion, big sunglasses, deep conversation, a good book, digital marketing, messy hair, planes, poetry, hot tea + long distance running.
This blog is about saying yes to the things that make you feel alive. It’s about rolling with the punches and embracing uncertainty because not everything will be smooth sailing. A life of adventure is full of challenges but I think it's worth it. Here's to saying yes to adventure, whatever that looks like for you.
Thank you so much for reading and experiencing this journey with me! :)
© laurel-street.com, 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Laurel Street and laurel-street.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.